Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) has let go of 5 big names from the national academy. The players who were expelled from the national team are
- Goh Soon Huat (mixed doubles, ranked No. 10 in the world)
- Lai Shevon Jemie (mixed doubles, ranked No. 10 in the world)
- Lai Pei Jing (mixed doubles, ranked No. 12 in the world)
- Vivian Hoo (women’s doubles, ranked No. 17 in the world)
- Soniia Cheah (women’s singles, ranked No. 32 in the world)
BAM stated that the decision was made after the BAM Coaching and Training committee reviewed the performance of the players and produced a thorough and detailed assessment.
An official release from BAM said, “The entirety of BAM gives sincere thanks to these players for their commitment, dedication and immense contribution to the country over the years.”
The coaches in the men’s singles and women’s singles disciplines have also been given strict orders to improve the performance of their players.
Tan Kian Meng (mixed doubles partner of Lai Pei Jing) and Yap Cheng Wen (women’s doubles partner of Vivian Hoo) have been given the opportunity to prove themselves with strict instructions to show rapid progress by the national association.
The dismissals, especially of Shevon Jamie Lai and Goh Soon Huat, came as a surprise to many Malaysian badminton fans.