Badminton World Federation (BWF) issued a statement today with a few general rules to govern the cancellation/postponement of tournaments due to the spread of the coronavirus.
Here are details:
- There is no change in the Olympic Qualification Rules (i.e. no change/extension in the Olympic qualification period)
- If a tournament is cancelled or postponed, all the players/entries will automatically be treated as ‘Withdrawn’.
- No withdrawal fees will be applied to the players
- Players will NOT be allowed to enter tournaments where the entry deadline has closed. Eg. Some players might have opted to participate at the German Open (cancelled) and skip the India Open (entry deadline closed). German Open has now been cancelled, this does not mean that the aforementioned players will be allowed to enter the India Open.
- Players will be required to send their entries for postponed tournaments again. Eg: Players will need to send their entries for the Lingshui China Masters when the tournament opens up for entries again.
- BWF will not provide refunds for flights and hotels to the players. Regarding hotel accommodations booked through the tournament host, the booking conditions informed by the host will apply. Players are advised to contact their travel agency for refunds.
- If a Super 1000 or Super 750 tournament gets cancelled, fines against Top Committed Players will not be issued.