After the announcement of the updated tournament schedules by BWF, every country is gearing up their players to return to their bests. Japan is no exception. World No. 1 Kento Momota is also set to make his grand re-entry at the Thomas Cup in October.
Head coach Park Joo Bong said that the Japanese government had given them the green signal to participate in the championships set to held in Denmark. He said that the players had been training with their respective clubs and not in the centralized training camp because COVID-19 had put some restrictions.
Through The Star, he said, “At the moment, it’s all systems go for Japan. I can confirm that we will take part in the Thomas and Uber Cup Finals…By September 1, we will begin out centralized training.”
Talking about the world champion Park said, “He is back at his best. We have monitored his training with his club and he is in good form. He will lead Japan’s campaign.”
It is to be noted that Momota was an instrumental difference when Japan won their maiden Thomas Cup in 2014 and was the sole point winner on finals day when Japan went down 1-3 to China in 2018.